Thursday, December 11, 2008

Google is going to take over the world.....

Alright.

I admit it.

I am a BIG FAN of Google.

I am really impressed with their company culture and the products they come out with. I have been using Gmail for many, many years, and I love their search results.

Anytime I need directions, I turn to Google Maps. And I love street view in Google Maps.

I love Google Earth.

Of course, this blog is done with Google software.

I have used Google Calendar for years, and love the SMS (Text) message alerts it sends to me when I need a reminder about a meeting.

I've played around with Google Docs & Spreadsheets, and am pretty impressed with that product.

Google Groups helps me do a lot of research in my employment.

So why am I telling you about everything I like about Google? Well, I've just started using another product called Google Alerts. Basically, I have selected 3 or 4 search phrases and whenever Google finds something new that meets the search phrase, it sends me a daily e-mail to let me know so that I can read further up on it.

I got this idea from Scott Adams, the creator of the Dilbert cartoon. He has Google Alerts send him e-mail about a medical condition that has afflicted him for many years.

With the recent news about Wyndham Resorts, and seeing how dependent my family is on that company, I have decided to get e-mails about Wyndham. I have been able to read about the layoffs and get a better feeling for what the company is attempting to do. It has helped calm me a little about the company.

So my suggestion to you is to give it a try. Go to Google Alerts and give it a try. If there is a subject that interests you, you might find it quite interesting to see new items on the Internet about that subject.

Dave

P.S. For those of you who want to know, beginning with this post my blog is now public for all to read.

3 comments:

Jaimee said...

Hello Cousin!!! I'm so glad your blog is public now... I really enjoy being able to see what you guys are up to and read Janelle's and Meg's blog almost daily!

I guess I will have to become a convert of Google... it sounds great- thanks for sharing!

Miss you guys,
Jaimee

stef said...

Hello my favorite uncle! This post sounds like something my Darin might use.. Talk to ya later!:)

meg said...

Those do sound really cool. 'Grats (haha check out my WoW lingo!) on going public and baring it all!