Friday, January 30, 2009

Hawaiian Weather

I love Hawaii. I love being on an Island. I love the green plants that live everywhere. I love the lava rocks. I love the ocean. I love driving a convertible. I love being warm all the time. I love knowing Maui well enough that I don't have to refer to maps to determine where to go.

But, just as the rose has thorns, so too Hawaii has something to remind you that beauty must pay a price. In my opinion, it is the weather.

In my prior post I mentioned that we drove to the top of Haleakala and really enjoyed the day. That was Monday. When we left Kihei the temperature was 82 degrees. When we reached the summit it had dropped to 56 degrees. This I believe is a normal range for going from sea level to 10,023 feet above sea level. However, as we started down the mountain, the clouds rolled in.

Tuesday it rained all day. We were prepared for rain and spent most of the day in Ka'anapali. We had lunch at Leilani's and also did some shopping. We had a great dinner at Roy's in Kihei and made arrangements to meet at Stella Blue's for breakfast on Wednesday, dressed in swimming suits because we were going to hit the beach.

You guessed it. It rained all day on Wednesday. We hit Stella Blue's for breakfast, in our swimsuits, but went back to the condos and changed into regular clothes. We then spent some more time in Lahaina, doing some shopping, and went to dinner at Kimo's. While in Lahaina Sue found some ocean glass that she bought for a very reasonable price. She got a piece for her necklace, and a set of earrings. Here are some photos from Kimo's:

Tom & Lani


Wally & Beth


Sue & I


We made arrangements to meet at Mekena Beach today (Thursday). Each couple rented a beach umbrella and 2 lounge chairs (cost per couple: $35/day) and had a great morning at the beach. We went to lunch at the pool area at the Maui Prince hotel, which is right on Makena Beach. While we were at lunch the winds came up and blew a bunch of clouds in, so we lost the sun! We spent a couple more hours at the beach but it was frustrating to me because we lost the sun again! I'm sure that tomorrow will be better.

We have a whale watch scheduled tomorrow with Ultimate Whale Watch out of Lahaina. It is a late afternoon trip, and we will get back to the harbor at dusk. We went out with them last year and really liked it. They have a zodiac boat that holds about 20 people and gets you close to the water. We are really looking forward to it. We are also scheduled to go with them again on Monday.

Aloha!

No comments: