Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Time

Where does it go?

I just can't believe it has been over a month since my last post. We are already 2 weeks into the new year, and in 10 days Sue and I will be leaving for our annual trip to Hawaii.

It seems incredible to me that time goes by so quickly. As a young boy, the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas took FOREVER to pass. Now, as a grandpa, it feels like you have Thanksgiving dinner, then go to the family room to open Christmas presents.

I have discovered that at least one thing, however, can make time seem to stand still. That thing is missing someone. Right now Sue and I have just passed the first week of 4 weeks without Janelle, Bailee, or Afton. Yes, Janelle stole our two precious granddaughters from us and went to visit her sister and family in Boston. (Can you imagine she would be so mean?) They are going to be gone for almost three weeks, but get back 2 days after we leave for Hawaii. So, while I am looking forward to spending 11 days in Hawaii, I'm also already looking forward to coming home so I can see them again.

And for those of you who know me, that is a MAJOR change to how I view our annual Hawaii vacation!

2 comments:

Randy said...

Dave, I know exactly how you feel! Except that I don't have to wait 4 weeks, I have to wait 4 months or more sometimes. It is quite painful. You have a great bunch of grand kids and just like you are a wonderful father, you are one terrific grandpa!

meg said...

Hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii - and there certainly will be lots of hugs waiting for you when you get back! Especially if you bring back some of that macadamia nut chocolate... love ya!